- This event has passed.
Tobacco Recovery ““ Dawn Farm Education Series
October 17, 2017 @ 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm
Despite downward trends in the prevalence of tobacco use in the general population, tobacco use remains a significant problem among people with alcohol/other drug addiction. Research has demonstrated that tobacco cessation has positive effects on recovery and relapse rates, and a smoke-free policy does not adversely affect treatment retention. This program will describe the prevalence of tobacco addiction among people with alcohol and other drug addictions, the relationship between tobacco use and recovery, and information on tobacco cessation techniques targeted to people with alcohol/other drug addiction.
Handouts: Slides – Tobacco Recovery, October 2017
Related reading suggestions:
- Smoking Cessation Services in Addiction Treatment by Hannah K. Knudsen, PhD & William L. White, MA
- “Alcohol, Tobacco and Other Drug Use by Addiction Professionals: Historical Reflections and Suggested Guidelines“ by William White.
- Michigan Smoker’s Quit Kit
- The Exchange – This resource provides information targeted to addiction professionals.
- FDA rules for electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS) sales: here.
- What You Should Know ABout Electronic Cigarettes (E-Cigarettes): here.
Audio, October 2017:
About the presenter:
Anna Byberg, LMSW, CAADC
Anna Byberg is the Program Coordinator for the Dawn Farm Spera Recovery Center and a member of Dawn Farm’s Tobacco Cessation team. Anna has worked with Dawn Farm since February of 2005, initially as a Detox Counselor and later as an Outpatient Counselor and then Project Manager. Anna obtained her Bachelor of Arts in Psychology degree from the University of Michigan ““ Dearborn in December 2001 and her Master of Social Work degree from Eastern Michigan University in April, 2012.