- This event has passed.
Grief and Loss in Addiction and Recovery– Dawn Farm Education Series
March 20 @ 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm
Unresolved grief and loss frequently accompany people throughout the process of moving from the culture of addiction to the culture of recovery. Families of people with addiction experience grief and loss as well. This program will explain various theories of grief and grief recovery, describe losses that chemically dependent individuals and their families experience throughout the addiction and recovery processes, and discuss how recovery program tools can help individuals cope with grief and loss. The presentation will include a personal story of grief, loss and recovery.
Grief & Loss Resources
- Al-Anon Family Groups District 5: http://www.afgdistrict5.org/
- Compassion Books: http://www.compassionbooks.com/store/
- The American Association of Suicidology
- Center for Loss and Life Transitions: http://www.centerforloss.com/
- Compassionate Friends: Supporting a Family after a Child Dies: http://www.compassionatefriends.org/
- Crisis, Grief & Healing: http://www.webhealing.com/
- Griefnet: http://www.griefnet.org/
- Hospice Net: http://www.hospicenet.org/
- Rudman, M.K., Gagne K. D., Bernstein, J.E., Books to Help a Child Cope with Separation and Loss: An Annotated Bibliography 4th ed., 1994.
- Fitzgerald, Helen, The Grieving Child: A Parent’s Guide, 1992.
- Jarratt, C.J., Helping Children Cope with Separation and Loss, Revised Edition, 1994.
- J. William Worden, Grief Counseling and Grief Therapy, 2008.
- Judith Viorst, Necessary Losses, 2002.
- Lynn, J. and Harrold, J. (1999). Handbook for Mortals: Guidance for People Facing Serious Illness, p.41.
Abbot, A., Alcohol, Tobacco, and Other Drugs. NASW, 2010.
About the presenters:
Jerry Fouchey, BS, MA, Sp.A., CADC
After several years as a Dawn Farm Spera Recovery Center Counselor, Jerry Fouchey currently serves as a Personal Medicine and Outpatient therapist for Dawn Farm.
He has extensive experience in the field of education as an administrator, facilitator, strategist, teacher and practitioner in the areas of educational administration, curriculum, instruction and staff development, and has played leadership roles in many initiatives in various public school districts. He earned his BS, MA, and Sp.A. from Eastern Michigan University, has received additional training in substance use disorder prevention and treatment procedures, and is a Certified Alcohol & Drug Counselor (CADC). Jerry was instrumental in the implementation of Dawn Farm’s Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) program.