- This event has passed.
Facing Grief and Loss in Addiction and Recovery – Dawn Farm Education Series
March 31 @ 7:30 pm - 9:00 pm
Location: St. Joseph Mercy Michigan Heart and Vascular Institute auditorium, 5325 Elliott Drive, Ypsilanti Michigan 48197. Park in parking area “M”.
Please click here to access the main Education Series information page.
Unresolved grief and loss frequently accompany people throughout the process of moving from the culture of addiction to the culture of recovery. Families of people with addiction experience grief and loss as well. This program will explain various theories of grief and grief recovery, describe losses that people with substance use disorders and their families experience throughout the addiction and recovery processes, and discuss how recovery program tools can help individuals cope with grief and loss.
Grief & Loss Resources
- Compassion Books: http://www.compassionbooks.com/store/
- The American Association of Suicidology
- Center for Loss and Life Transitions: http://www.centerforloss.com/
- Compassionate Friends: Supporting a Family after a Child Dies: http://www.compassionatefriends.org/
- Crisis, Grief & Healing: http://www.webhealing.com/
- Griefnet: http://www.griefnet.org/
- Rudman, M.K., Gagne K. D., Bernstein, J.E., Books to Help a Child Cope with Separation and Loss: An Annotated Bibliography 4th ed., 1994.
- Fitzgerald, Helen, The Grieving Child: A Parent’s Guide, 1992.
- Jarratt, C.J., Helping Children Cope with Separation and Loss, Revised Edition, 1994.
- J. William Worden, Grief Counseling and Grief Therapy, 2008.
- Judith Viorst, Necessary Losses, 2002.
- Lynn, J. and Harrold, J. (1999). Handbook for Mortals: Guidance for People Facing Serious Illness, p.41.
Abbot, A., Alcohol, Tobacco, and Other Drugs. NASW, 2010.
Audio March 2019.
Video March 2019.
About the presenter:
Jerry Fouchey, BS, MA, Sp.A., CADC; Dawn Farm Lifestyle Medicine Therapist and Didactic Group Facilitator.
Jerry Fouchey has extensive experience in the field of education as an administrator, facilitator, strategist, teacher and practitioner in the areas of educational administration, curriculum, instruction and staff development, and has played leadership roles in many initiatives in various public school districts. After serving several years as a Dawn Farm Spera Recovery Center Counselor and later as an Outpatient Therapist, Jerry Fouchey currently serves as a Lifestyle Medicine Therapist and didactic group facilitator for Dawn Farm. He earned his BS, MA, and Sp.A. from Eastern Michigan University, has received additional training in substance use disorder prevention and treatment procedures, and is a Certified Alcohol & Drug Counselor (CADC). Jerry was instrumental in the development and implementation of Dawn Farm’s Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT) and Lifestyle Medicine programs.